Thursday, May 31, 2012

I, Julia Aaron, am a Freedom Rider

"At our first stop in Virginia . . . I [was] confronted with what the Southern white has called `separate but equal.' A modern rest station with gleaming counters and picture windows was labeled `White,' and a small wooden shack beside it was tagged `Colored.'"
-- Freedom Rider William Mahoney. Freedom Rider. When you hear that name, what do you think of? What comes to my mind is one who fights for what is justly deserved, one who stands tall to the oppressive, and one who isn’t afraid to sacrifice for what they know is right. I, Julia Aaron, am a Freedom Rider. In 1946 the Supreme Court ruled that segregation of seating on interstate buses was unconstitutional. So what does that mean for me, my friends, and my family down in Alabama? Almost nothing. As many expected, southern states were slow to comply with this ruling. So what are we supposed to do? Sit around until the bus conductors decide us blacks can finally sit with the whites? Are they going to hand us a golden letter when they become okay with integrating busses? Well, I can tell you that I sure believe they won’t do any of that.
So, I joined the Freedom Riders. They were doing something about this! They were standing up for their supreme court given rights! The plan was to ride a bus route through a stop in Birmingham, AL. The white freedom riders would sit in the back of the bus, and blacks would seat themselves in front sections. During stops and rest breaks the black freedom riders would enter white only areas and whites would do the opposite. I was very well prepared for what I was signing up for. I had seen violent protests on the news all my life. I knew whether you stood still or came out swinging, people were going to be violent towards you if you were fighting for civil rights. It is a sensitive topic. I honestly don’t understand why some people are so opposed to equality. How would you feel if you were on the bottom end? The day of my freedom ride comes. Of course I was nervous, I was a twenty-two year old girl. But, I knew what I was fighting for was bigger than myself. I was fighting for one step closer to gaining equality, the eradication of racism, and to provide a better future for the generations ahead. I get to the bus stop, climb the few steps, and take a seat in the very first row. Once I am seated I keep my eyes down, and stay to myself. At a rest break I gather my courage and step right into the section marked “WHITES-ONLY” with a sharp red and white sign. I pretend I belong as angry glares and harsh whispers are being pointed in my direction. Inside I am strong. I know that whatever happens today, in the end I will know that I made a difference and that I was brave enough to stand up for what I deserve.
Hours pass with no real physical danger or harm. I begin to relax. The bus driver announces our stop in Birmingham. As we pull up to the stop a small mob quickly boards the bus and begins to beat my fellow riders and I. I don’t remember much. I wasn’t seriously injured, but I did gain some serious bruises. One rider got seven stitches above his left eye. Overall, we had a good ride compared to some of the others. I only participated in one ride because of my mothers concerns. My mom understood the importance of the rides, but always persisted in asking me why I had to be the one to fight for it, or why can’t you leave that up to someone else. What I had to explain to her is that most people have that attitude already. If everyone counts on others to do their work for them, then how long are we going to have to wait for a change to happen? I want a change now. And I am willing to fight for it. I, Julia Aaron, am a Freedom Rider. Works Cited: Cozzens, Lisa. "Freedom Rides." Civil Rights Movement. Web. 31 May 2012. . "Freedom Riders." Web. 31 May 2012. . "Retracing the Freedom Riders Route." News Detail. Web. 31 May 2012. . "Freedom Riders." A Union of Professionals. Web. 31 May 2012. .

No comments:

Post a Comment